August 13, 2008

Viva La Fiesta!


Mmmm...tacos. We cooked grass-fed beef from my dad's neighbor with all the right seasonings (for us: plenty of garlic, s&p, celery salt, and some cayenne), and added onions and peppers from Greenling. A few months ago, I bought a cast iron skillet (which I love) and learned to make homemade flour tortillas. So, I busted it out. Ryan says that he'll never go back to store-bought--what a compliment! The salsa is also homemade--and it's my mom's famous recipe. We had jalapenos in the basket, too, and cilantro, so the salsa was a jiffy: Here's the skinny:

1 large can organic peeled whole tomatoes, or use 2 cups fresh peeled tomatoes
1 jalapeno, seeds removed
1 large handful cilantro
2-3 cloves garlic
salt, garlic powder, and a squeeze of lime to taste

This one's easy: BLEND IT ALL, BABY! Be careful with the jalapeno. Some like it hot. I generally use extra cilantro and less heat for my #1. Don't get me wrong, he can take the heat--but the man can also down the entire bowl if I make it just right. And that's just plain impressive, something I like to see.

To round out the night and keep it all Tex-Mex themed, I made watermelon agua fresca...the long way. I washed out the Cuisinart and dumped chunks of watermelon in. I completely forgot that we have a JUICER. Like, one with a big motor and everything. So I blended the watermelon, then passed it through a tiny sieve into a pretty pitcher. It took forever, but it was delicious--no sugar added. We downed it all that night, and only after it was all gone did we have the brilliant idea that (next time) we should add lime and mint.

0 comments: