August 13, 2008

It was a...DISASTER!

Now, I'm the first to admit that I am still learning my way around the culinary arts. But I've made eggplant parmesan [once] before [with a chef's help] and it was great [because I had a chef helping]. Making it on my own couldn't be too different, right?

And by the looks of things...it turned out pretty good.

But then we tried to eat it. Poor, sweet, understanding Ryan. I ignored every warning he tried to give me ("Are you sure you know how to make eggplant parm?" "Do you know what to do with an eggplant?" "I can make French onion soup if you want!") and went ahead with my plan.

I sweated the eggplant (I thought) and cooked them plenty long (I thought). But in the end, even after over an hour of cooking all together, the eggplant were impossible to eat. That's the sight of all the store-bought organic tomato sauce and cheese being scraped off of the way-way-way-too-tough eggplant and mixed with the saving grace: spaghetti noodles.

Thank goodness for spaghetti noodles and store-bought sauce. And lots and LOTS of cheese. And of course, Ryan's good sense of humor.

0 comments: