June 19, 2008

Meals 5, 6, 7 and then some!

I have been remiss, my dear readers, in updating. A weekend out of town really throws me a curveball.

Last week, to finish up shipment 1 of the Greenling box, I roasted the remaining veggies with some tomatoes and jalapenos from a colleague. Tasty!



The next day (last Friday), we got our second Greenling box. In it...
2 heads of lettuce (yum)
beets
carrots
okra
baby squash
leeks
red potatoes
cherry tomatoes (not affected by any sort of salmonella!)
local cheese
sweet corn
flat-leaf parsley

It felt like more food than the previous week's box, even though we didn't get our foccaccia or cookies. Oh well!

That night, friends came over with some spectacular white wines (a Naia chardonnay and a Prosecco sparkling), and we complemented those wines with a fresh parsley pesto. Not to be out-done by any of my previous mistakes, I managed to ruin the blender in the process. So, the first batch of pesto had all the pine nuts plus some plastic. The second batch (made in the Cuisinart) was delish, even sans-pine nuts! I tossed it with pasta, Texas shrimp, and served it with lemon wedges and parsley garnish. For dessert, I made a Busy Day Cake with organic strawberries on top.


And after a weekend away (and eating LOTS of red meat, most of which was raised on grass in my hometown, which was spectacular), we came home to our still-fresh veggies and had this wonderful meal. I made the same dressing I used on the salad nicoise, because it was such a success, and had a fresh salad with tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, baby squash, garlic, and cheese. Ryan's colleague brought him some famous BBQ from Snow's, and so we cut that up and put it on the plates. I must say, it might have overshadowed the salad. It was the most amazing brisket ever: even after 3 days in the fridge and 30 seconds in the microwave, it was still moist and smoky and flavorful and tender. The cheese was delicious, too--though I'm not sure exactly what kind it was.



I haven't been too creative this week because we have been catching up...but we get another Greenling box tomorrow, and I can't wait to spend the weekend cooking.

1 comments:

Andrey do Amaral said...

Delicius food. I am gonig on shape. congratulations. Keep in touch

Andrey do Amaral, from Brazil