March 16, 2012

Freshworthy Friday: Ghostwriters, Death by Bacon, and Dark Rye

This week I'm less enthralled by pink slime and more interested in the lighter side of food news. Well, except for this first story. Oye.

Death By Bacon? Study Finds Eating Meat is Risky
NPR
Seriously, I have to ask... What's good for us any more? But this is a study I find myself agreeing with. Spoiler alert, the takeaway lesson here is, "Everything in moderation." The study shows that people who eat more meat are less likely to avoid dying (well, that's the gist of it). It also finds that processed meats (like bacon, sausages, and hot dogs) are riskier. It makes sense; this goes back to the notion of eating pure, whole foods. A sustainable diet. Hmm, who knew?

I Was a Cookbook Ghostwriter
Julia Moskin, NY Times
This isn't so much newsworthy as it is just fascinating. As someone who, one day, would love to write a cookbook, this is an interesting glimpse into the behind-the-scenes. Maybe I'll ghostwrite, but I'd much rather be the person on the cover, touting my homegrown, home-cooked dinners. The only thing that baffles me is all the recipe testing. Oye, to have time to do that... What about you?

Dark Rye
Whole Foods
It should come as no surprise that I'm a huge fan of Whole Foods. Those folks have it down, and are always putting something out there that is exactly what I want to eat/read/see/hear. This week they launched their online magazine, Dark Rye. It's hip and refreshing, so check it out!

0 comments: