June 25, 2008

"I just couldn't get over the fact that I was microwaving two-day-old eggs."

Monday night was casserole night at our house. We had two large squash to use: one a butternut, and one a long skinny variety. On my walk home from the bus, I stopped in at the grocery and picked up some cheese and an onion, paid for them, and stuffed them into my lunchbox. I may have looked a fool, but lemme tell ya--I saved a trip up the road to the store, didn't I? Some slicing and dicing later, I stared down at this:
Not bad. I baked just the veggies in 2 tablespoons of melted butter for half an hour (it needed more time--I'd say give it 45 minutes) and then poured in a mixture of 3/4 cup milk, 3/4 cup monterrey jack cheese, and 2 eggs. Then I baked it about 25 more minutes, and out popped this deliciously orange casserole.

I felt like the orange dish needed a green side, so I chopped the rest of the onion boiled it with fresh green beans and butter. All in all, a wholesome summery meal (see the side of bread from Sunday?).

It turned out great, even though I thought it could use a little more time in the oven.

Leftovers were a different story; I thought it was better day two, but Ryan said, "I just couldn't get over the fact that I was microwaving two-day-old eggs." I reminded him that the dish was just from last night--the eggs weren't that old. But this only stirred his suspicions of old eggs.

0 comments: