April 24, 2012

Busy? Healthy Food is Quick!



Last week was a bit wild. There were bikes to pick up, donations to finalize, travel plans to be made, softball games, and more. We were running around like mad—how on earth would dinner ever make it to the table?

One of my favorite ways to deal with a busy weeknight and still get a healthy meal on the books is to turn to frozen vegetables. I toss frozen veggies together with anything fresh we have on hand to make a stir fry (more like steamed vegetables) and serve it with brown rice. Last week, I sauteed garlic and green onions, then added fresh mushrooms, carrots, frozen peas, and frozen broccoli.

I take no shame in my frozen vegetable obsession; it's an easy and economical way to get organic foods into any meal. And let's not forget the time I save in prepping these foods: there's no washing or chopping required. Easy-peasy!

Frozen fruits are great, too; I find the prices on frozen organic berries fit better into my food budget. A favorite snack of mine is 3/4 cup organic Greek yogurt topped with chia seeds and frozen organic blueberries. I bring it to work, put it in the fridge, and by the afternoon when I'm ready to enjoy, I drizzle it with honey. The chia seeds absorb the extra moisture from the now-thawed berries and it all mixes together perfectly. 

What do you use frozen fruits and vegetables for?

0 comments: