November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving wrap-up

Look at that spread! To think, this was only one of three Thanksgivings I was blessed enough to enjoy this year. This one was at my mom's house, and what was so outstanding about hers was the fact that all but ONE vegetable came from her garden.
From the top left, clockwise:
Green bean casserole (fresh green beans)
Gravy, turkey, rolls, and dressing
Pecan pie (you guessed it, homemade with home-grown pecans)
Butternut squash pie (I made this with one of mom's squash)
Pickle platter (okra, cucumbers, and tomatoes from the garden; also the one non-garden veggie--olives)
Roasted butternut squash and shallots with fresh rosemary
Garden pumpkin stuffed with wild rice pilaf
Fresh corn (frozen from the summer harvest) with butter and herbs
This was the best Thanksgiving I can ever remember. We had three separate but equally wonderful occasions; one with Ryan's family, one with my dad's side of the family, and one at mom's. In the middle of it all, we celebrated two birthdays. And, unbelievably, I didn't have one bite of turkey!

I had a couple of minor vegetarian slip-ups (the amazing rice pilaf was made with chicken stock, as was the dressing, but that hardly stopped me), but overall didn't miss the turkey this Thanksgiving.

But it's easy not to miss something as trivial as turkey when you're surrounded by people you love. What a wonderful holiday. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's my favorite.

Coming up on my blog: getting deeper into the vegetarian conversion, and, should everything go smoothly tonight, a new recipe for spinach and mushroom enchiladas (with a creamy avocado sauce).


0 comments: