August 13, 2009

better than kraft mac n cheese

I'll admit, I might be using the title of this post to get some good Google hits. Fingers crossed.

But truly, this is better than anything you'll make out of a box. It's almost better than anything that'll come out of the oven. 

It's a revolution, which is exactly what the author of this particular recipe exclaimed on her blog. Let me introduce you to White on Rice Couple, a blog that I've recently fallen in love with. 

And then when I read this recipe, well... Let's just say that I made secret plans to pull off a whole-wheat (possibly organic) version once I got home. I picked up pasta and milk at the store and made it home to Ryan, who wanted salmon and veggies. 

"Why don't we split a salmon fillet and have broccoli... and this super-healthy pasta recipe I'm going to make?"

"Healthy? Doesn't it have cheese all over it?"

"But I'm making it with whole-wheat pasta, low-fat organic milk, local butter (and just one tablespoon at that!), and a mixture of colby, parm, and chevre! YUM!"

I think it was splitting the salmon fillet (we each had about three ounces of healthy and sustainably harvested Omega 3s that night) that got him. Without the pasta side, there wouldn't have been enough dinner to sustain us. 

This stovetop mac-n-cheese is phenomenal. In fact, I made it twice in twelve hours; once for us, and once for a potluck at Ryan's office. The second batch I made at 6:45 a.m. And then I scooped out a spoonful for breakfast (shhhh, don't tell his colleagues). 

So, a big thank you to White on Rice for this one-pot stovetop creamier-than-you-can-imagine-and-even-pretty-healthy version of macaroni and cheese. I followed the recipe almost to a T; I used whole-wheat pasta instead of its white flour counterpart, and a mixture of colby, crumbled chevre, and parmesan--because that's what I had in the fridge. 

This one is going straight to the cheesey file as a quick one-pot dish that satisfies all my pasta cravings. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go make some more... 

3 comments:

Stephanie N. said...

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing this. I'm adding it to my recipes-to-try wishlist.

John said...

I must say, I've never tried whole wheat pasta. I know, I know, I'm way behind.

But the good news is that their recipe is totally bookmarked because I love my macaroni and cheese.

Candace said...

I'm absolutely making this tonight. The Hubs put a pork tenderloin in the crockpot this morning to slow cook and we hadn't decided on side dishes for it yet...looks like mac and cheese will be one of them! :)