May 20, 2009

a light meal: crackers and cheese

When it comes to dinner, I tend to be a "big production" type of person. I am not a one-dish type o' gal; if there's soup, I want bread too. If there are veggies, I need some kind of starch. And normally, I like to have a meal-sized meal. You know what I mean?

So when I got a text from Ryan while I was at Central Market that said something along the lines of "I want to eat light tonight," I thought... there goes my plan.

But instead of chucking my idea for a pseudo-gourmet meal out the window, I decided to embrace Ryan's light wishes and run with it. I snagged some locally made chive-cheese spread at the store, and some Texas blueberries for good measure, and home I went.

After the last time I made crackers, we talked about one possible improvement: cut the crackers before you bake them. Since I already had small cookie cutters for dog treats, I decided to make heart-shaped plain crackers as well as some rosemary and sea salt crackers. From, of course, the rosemary in our little container garden.

Don't they look like tiny throw pillows?The crackers are simple:

1 cup AP flour (use whole wheat if desired, or 1/2 cup of each)
1 tsp salt
2 tablespoons butter or EVOO
1/4 water, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary (optional)

Toss the flour and salt in the food processor and pulse with the butter or oil until combined well. With the machine on, pour in 1/4 cup water. Add more, one splash at a time, until the dough forms a cohesive ball that's not too sticky.

Remove dough. If using rosemary, knead it in. Roll as flat as desired. Cut into shapes and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet (or use a silpat). Sprinkle with salt if desired. Bake at 350 until puffy and golden, about 10 minutes (but keep a close eye on 'em!).

Serve warm or cooled, and enjoy your crunching!


Here's the spread. Mineral water, local cheese, local blueberries, homemade crackers, and organic celery. Of course, I had some brownies planned for later that night, so having a light dinner? No big deal.

2 comments:

Wendy Starr said...

I have had this recipe bookmarked for months and just got around to making it today. My review is: WOW! Thank you so much for posting it. I didn't realize how fast it was to make the dough. It took me longer to cut out shapes than anything else. I used teddy bear and leaf cookie cutters and my crackers are just gorgeous. Thanks so much, this is in my regular rotation of snacks now :)

Wendy

Vs mum said...

Thank you so much for this lovely looking recipe. I shall be trying it and posting up on my blog.

They look delicious and so professional!