February 10, 2009

Sneaky, sneaky!

To make up for tricking Ryan the other day, I decided to try some different cookies. Lately I’ve been on a baking kick, trying to hone my skills in the oven. I’ve also fallen hard for organic rolled oats; they’re healthy, hearty, and tasty to boot. They can be dressed up to the nines, or cooked simply. (And just you wait for the delish banana muffin recipe coming down the pike.)

But let me preface this by telling you that only a couple of days before I made these cookies, we’d given Ryan’s sister, Lynsy, the Deceptively Delicious (and highly controversial) book for her b-day. We thought it’d be perfect for her young picky eater, but I really liked some of the ideas and thought I could incorporate more veggies into my baking.

So, back to the evening when I made these cookies....

I’d again confessed that I felt like making oatmeal cookies. So when Ryan caught me in the kitchen grating carrots, he shook his finger at me. “You know, you can’t sneak vegetables into food for me like you could on a little kid. I’m not gonna fall for it.” I wasn’t trying to be sneaky, I assured him, I was just trying to make miniature, oatmeal cookie versions of one of my favorite desserts: carrot cake with cream cheese icing. Once I was given the blessing to proceed with my vegetable-infiltrated cookie baking, all was well. I whipped up a simple recipe and these flew off the cooling rack just as soon as I could ice them. We ate ‘em all, and didn’t share with anybody. Sorry friends. :) I’ll make you another batch.

Oatmeal Carrot Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

For the cookies (I halved this recipe just for me & the man, but have included the full-size recipe here):

3/4 c. butter
1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. rolled oats
1 c. shredded carrots

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds, just until softened. Add half of the flour, all of the brown sugar and granulated sugar, egg, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and vanilla; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat or stir in remaining flour. Stir in oats and carrots

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until done enough for you. Cool, then top with cream cheese frosting. Makes 4 dozen large cookies.

For the cream cheese frosting: (adapted from allrecipes.com)
8 oz neufatchel cream cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.

0 comments: